.
The busiest "little" township in Indiana
Clear Creek Township
Monroe County, Indiana
Col. John Ketcham
Copyright ©  Clear Creek Township. All Rights Reserved.
was that of one of Gen. Andrew Jackson's electors.

He also was listed as one of the first trustees of Indiana University.

The Ketcham family can trace its history back to 1590 when the original Edward Ketcham was born in
England. He emigrated to America in 1629 and the Ketchams remained in the East until a great
grandson of Edward, Daniel Ketcham, came to the West in 1784, settling in Shelby Co., Ky. Daniel was
the father of Col. John Ketcham and eight other children.

John was two years old when his father made the trip to Kentucky and has mentioned the journey in
his memoirs.  He was said to have told his story about the trip: "When coming down the Ohio river on
a raft, a wildcat was spotted on a tree branch over-hanging the river, was shot and it fell before me
on the boat."

Though John's father was presented with 1400 acres of land by the government in Shelby County,
Ky., things were not to be easy for him and his family.

In 1792, Daniel was carried away by a band of Tawa (Ottawa) Indians who led him on a march lasting
several days.  The Indians forced Daniel to many hardships carrying full pack while marching through
the wilds and fording rivers. After several days of this, Daniel pretended to be injured and began
limping.  The Indians relieved him of his pack and he proceeded easier. However, while crossing a
log bridge, he ran and forgot to hobble. The Indians noticed and immediately loaded him with all he
could bear.  Eventually the group came to a large camp near Detroit. Daniel was kept prisoner until,
one day, the Indians led him to a stake where a fire had been prepared. He was blackened and made
ready to die in the fire when an Indian maiden decorated with "fully 500 silver broaches," came forth,
denounced the group and took the man to herself.  She cared for him until later, he was able to
escape the tribe and made his way into Canada, then back to his original home in Maryland. Finally
he was able to return to Kentucky. It was said his wife and family there never had given up hope for
his return.  His wife, when he had been captured, kept the neighbors from pursuing the Indian group
lest Daniel be the victim of a tomahawk death, for she believed that God, in His Providence, would
bring him back to her. Two years later Daniel returned.

In 1803, John Ketcham was married in Kentucky to Elizabeth Pearsy.  They had 12 children, six were
born in Kentucky and six were born in the Indiana Territory, for in 1811 the family traveled to Indiana
and settled in Jackson County, very near to the property that later John sold to the county.  The area
still was overrun with Indians, some of whom professed friendliness. But most of them were
unhappy over the constant pushing westward and northward they were receiving by the signing of
treaties with the white men. The Ten O'Clock Treaty, signed in 1809, and the Treaty of Grouseland,
signed in 1805, formed a perfect triangular boundary, of which this area was in the southern most
part.

With forts in Vincennes, Terre Haute and Fort Wayne, the area was not particularly well guarded. But,
eventually the Indians were to be forced from it. During the period from 1809 through 1818, Indian
fighting was an everyday occurrence with the few settlers in the area that braved the wild and
hostile Indian tribes.  Temporary forts were built to allow the homesteaders to clear and till the soil
and find safety at night inside the protecting walls of the forts. They were built on a line south of just
south of Vallonia through Brownstown and on toward the east.  The Vallonia fort was manned with
100 troops of the territory militia and afforded protection nearby to the other small forts on up the
way. Ketcham's Fort was located on or near the spot where the Asher Woodmansee home now
stands and was occupied by a few brave families. Only the other fort, Huff's Fort, lay between
Ketcham and Vallonia all that time.

Col. Ketcham became one of the fiercest Indian fighters in this area of the Indiana Territory. Some of
his escapades are well worth retelling here, most of the information coming from memoirs that the
colonel wrote himself a few years before his death in 1865.

Most of the action took place during the years of 1812-1813.

The troubled area as he put it, was in that portion of the Indiana Territory, commonly called the
"Forks," situated between the Muscatatuck and Driftwood fork of the White River. The Indians were
numerous and friendly in that area before the Tippecanoe battle in 1811.  However, the Delaware
tribe expressed disapproval of the battle and and many left the territory then, but several remained,
enough that white settlers were not without fear. Constant harassment was given the white settlers
with occasional murder and horse thievery being committed by the Indians, but no large battles with
the whites.

In April, 1812, Ketcham recalled a white man was murdered near Ketcham's fort and the colonel and
another man retrieved the body, found stripped and thrown in the river. The next day, three Indians
came to Ketcham's door. They could speak pretty good English, and the colonel asked them what
was new. They replied, "None." Ketcham asked them to accompany him to the site of the murder.
They agreed.

However, Ketcham's wife begged him not to go with them as did his children. When they had gotten
a mile or so away, the Indians said they would go no farther as it would make the white men mad.
So they returned to Ketcham's place to find his wife and children had vanished. They had expected
an ambush from the Indians and had hidden in the forest. When some other white men saw the
Indians they drove them off.

About 10 days afterward, there came two Indians with white flags and a note from the Delaware tribe
that the trouble had been caused by the Kickapoo tribe, and was not the Delaware. The two Indian
messengers stayed on in the fort working for the white men after the peaceful settlement.

There were nearly 70 families in the forts at that time, but, after several more murders, about 50
families left and went back to Kentucky to safer territory. The balance of 15 or 18 families were
determined not to leave and had built blockhouses for protection.  

For a time, life continued unchanged, with the Indians stealing horses from within 15 steps of the
white men and ambushing the settlers at every chance. On one occasion, the Indians had slipped
into the white man's camp and stole some horses.  Upon being discovered the settlers gave pursuit
to the fleeing Indians and John Ketcham, while directing the chase, was shot. Shortly after this
episode, he enlisted for two years in the territory militia.

He fought under Gen. John Tipton and participated in many Indian battles, including the one on
Tipton's Island, which got its name from the Indian fights there with Tipton's men. Ketcham killed and
scalped an Indian on his first trip out with the troops and became at once to be known as a brave
Indian fighter. He was carried on the muster roll as First Sergeant.

On one campaign he was away from home for 88 days and lived on a week's simple rations. He was a
ranger in the militia and received a dollar a day in pay, "sustaining himself" as he put it, which meant
finding his own food to eat and clothes to wear. After Gen. Tipton's rough treatment of the Indians at
the battle of Tipton's Island, Ketcham said, the Indians retreated and were more wary of their new
neighbors.

Ketcham was released from the service in 1815 and returned to his home in Jackson County. Two
humorous tales he told about his service concerned fording a creek on horseback. The creek was
flooded and difficult to cross. He and his friend's horses became mired and stuck fast in the mud.

The friend, Jack Storm, had his name attached to the creek and it remains so to this day as Jack's
Defeat in Monroe County. The stream empties into Beanblossom creek, which also got its name from
a man named Beanblossom who, while riding with General Tipton, almost drowned while crossing
the stream. Tipton named the creek Beanblossom which is very familiar to everyone who has been
to Brown County.

After Ketcham's discharge from the service, he was honored by Gov. William Henry Harrison with
rank of colonel in a regiment of the state's militia. He also was presented a tract of land and named
one of General Andrew Jackson's electors for 1836 Presidential election.

In 1816, before he left Jackson county, he sold to the county government 153.4 acres of ground for 8
dollars per acre, donating the block of land where the Jackson County courthouse now stands for as
long as it was used for a courthouse.

He also helped lay out the town of Brownstown, the location of which was picked because of its
central geographical location in the county.

In 1818, Col. Ketcham moved to Monroe County, six or seven miles from south of Bloomington in
Section 6 of Clear Creek Township. He built a grist mill on Clear Creek the first year and became
known far and wide for his service.

When the city of Bloomington was laid out in 1818, Ketcham was asked to design and contract for
building of the first courthouse there. He became known for his kindness and generosity, and was
said to never have turned down a request from a poor family member or traveler at his door.

He was elected to the Indiana Legislature, received a judgeship from General Harrison, was
appointed a trustee of the Indiana Seminary, and served as colonel in the Twentieth Regiment of the
state militia. He also established the
Ketcham Cemetery in Bloomington where today his remains are
buried.

He and a co-worker establish a Methodist religious school on grounds at the south end of College
Avenue in Bloomington. It was a frame building 30 by 60 feet and later enlarged.

It could be said that he was the first trustee of Indiana University, then Indiana Seminary and the
Indiana Pioneer Historical Society lists him that way.

A chapel was built on the I.U. campus totally financed by the official I.U. chaplain, F.O. Beck and his
wife, Daisy Ketcham Beck. Stone used in the building was quarried from Col. John's original farm to
make the project more realistic.